What to do in summer > Sports and leisure > The Educational Trails > Heritage Trails > Historical Path in Saint-Jean > Post 19. Oratory of Saint-Félix

Post 19. Oratory of Saint-Félix

The Saint-Félix oratory, built in 1711, belongs to the Confrérie Saint-Félix, which is composed of thirty-five members, descendants of its founders, the transmission being from father to son.

Map of St-Jean

It is difficult to accurately date the Saint-Félix Brotherhood. Its secretary, in 1959, would have referred to the fourteenth century. For 300 years, every village in the Valais had to provide a contingent of mercenaries to serve the kings of Spain, Naples and France. In fact, the men of Anniviers, as well as other Valais residents, were engaged in France as mercenaries of the King.

They did not all return. Some died, others were captured. But that year, those of Saint-Jean all returned. After receiving their pay, they went to kneel at the tomb of Saint- Félix, in Cerfroid, France. To thank and obtain graces and favours, they bought a statue of the saint that they had shipped to Saint- Jean. In order to receive this representation of Saint-Félix, an oratory was built.

In 1996, the statue of Saint- Félix, found in 84 pieces on the floor, was completely glued back together.


Next post

According to our friends... it has been a long time that France has not been recruiting mercenaries in Saint-Jean... Let’s go back to the oratory and move forward a few meters. The House of the Tower is to the left of the road that goes towards the Chapel of Saint -Jean-Baptiste.