Post 5. Museum House

Built in 1718, this house was restored in 1997 and converted into a small museum of the life in times gone by of its owners.

   Map of Fang

 

This old peasant house has a bedroom and a kitchen on the first floor. On the ground floor was a stable for cows.

In the past, homes here had neither running water nor electricity. In the kitchen with a dirt floor, there was a hearth with the “bronze”, a pot hanging on a chain.

“People lived on very little : logic, common sense, and above all know - how. They were involved in several activities at once : vineyards, agriculture, livestock, wood preparation, respecting the seasons; each thing in its own time ! They nourished themselves with what nature gave them and ate seasonal products. In the spring, small wild vegetables : spinach, watercress, dandy lions, nettle soup with the new potatoes. In summer, the meals were more varied, more mealy : with starches, potatoes, beans, peas, carrots, beans. In the autumn, their diet made way for large vegetables : cabbage, leeks, and carrots, accompanied by salted pork.

They ate polenta, barley, generous soups, that were made with everything available, rice pudding, the “tsougdelet” ( flour grilled with butter and boiled, either with wine and sugar, or with milk ) so many delicious dishes that were on the tables of all families. “( From “Fang au Val d’Anniviers” Yvonne Jollien Berclaz, Ed. À la Carte ). Visits are possible. Reservations necessary : please contact Berthe Antille.

 

Next post

Continue along the path to the mill and the Fang stream.