Post 9. Mill and Sawmill

This was the centre of village life in the past, made up of the mill, the sawmill, the bread oven, the bread room and the slaughterhouse.

   Map of Grimentz

The mill, built in about 1819, was decommissioned in 1994. It now serves as a location for the organisation of parties and festivals. Its exterior and part of the old saws were kept, so as not forget its past use and to show how it worked.

The photo below shows the mill in the early 20th century, when it was operated by a vertical water wheel. The mill was heavily damaged by a landslide caused by the overflow of the Marais stream in the spring of 1999. It was rebuilt with original materials and according to the model of the old mill of the seventeenth century. It is one of the few mills to be operated only by horizontal blades driven directly by water without a complex mechanism.

A fountain dedicated to the mill workers is located on the other side of the bridge. A vertical water wheel, recalling the old sawmill, makes the workers saw a tree trunk in its length. This is one of three thematic, animated fountains of the village, with the fountain of fighting cows, noted above, and that of the baker. Built in 1996, it was destroyed, like the mill, in 1999. Following this destruction, the “ Association du Patrimoine du village de Grimentz “ which was created by people from different backgrounds in order to preserve the village’s old-fashioned charm, has rebuilt it in nearly identical form.

 

Next post

Continue a few meters further to the dairy.