What to do in summer > Sports and leisure > Natural world > The Educational Trails > Heritage Trails > Historical path in Mayoux > Post 1. Old House of the Bourgeoisie of Frasses

Post 1. Old House of the Bourgeoisie of Frasses

In 1643, the Frasses community acquired this building and in 1798 expanded it. At that time, almost all the villages of Anniviers built or bought a room, a wine cellar and vineyards.

 Map of Mayoux

To reach the first location on the tour, you can park just outside Mayoux towards Pinsec. The old House of the Bourgeoisie at Frasses is at a five minutes’ walk from Mayoux.

In the premises of the House of the Bourgeoisie, meetings were organised, whereas in its beautiful cellar, the wine was stored and wonderful moments were spent with fellow members of the Bourgeoisie.

The Bourgeoisies of Anniviers still function, including that of Saint-Jean which holds its annual meeting on the last Saturday of January. In March, in Sierre, the work in the vineyards is done to the sound of fifes and drums. If traditions are indeed maintained, it is thanks to the Bourgeoisies of the valley.

Formerly, above the House of the Bourgeoisie, there was a chapel dating from 1627. Converted into a private wine cellar in 1898, it was demolished in 1964, following the widening of the road from Mayoux to Pinsec.


Next post

Return to the car park and follow the first farm road, left, up to the barn-stable (grange-écurie) at the foot of the parking lot.