What to do in summer > Sports and leisure > Natural world > The Educational Trails > Heritage Trails > Historical Path in Saint-Luc > Post 21. Grand Hotel Cervin

Post 21. Grand Hotel Cervin

Observe the Grand Hotel Cervin above the road, that was opened in 1893.

  Map of St-Luc


Two residents of Saint-Luc contracted the same “stone disease” as the Mosoni brothers had a decade earlier. Thus in 1892 Benoît Antille and Joseph Vocat decided to call on the Lausanne architect Henri Guinand for the design and construction of the Grand Hotel Cervin, located a stone’s throw from the village centre, insolently overlooking Saint-Luc.

Pressed to gain a season, Benoît Antille decided to open half of the 75 rooms planned, in mid-June 1893.

In July, 1894, according to an announcement published in the Gazette du Valais, the Hotel was inaugurated. It was equipped with 75 comfortable rooms, with breath taking views, a large dining room, a reading room, a lounge, a pool table, a smoking room, private lounges, three porches, fourteen balconies, bathrooms on each floor and even a darkroom for photography. This hotel was definitely more modern than the Hotel Bella-Tola.

In 1966, the hotel was updated for the ski season (central heating) and the rooms of the two wings were converted into apartments.

 

Next post

Continue on the main road to the Hotel Bella-Tola.