What to do in summer > Sports and leisure > Natural world > The Educational Trails > Heritage Trails > Historical Path in Saint-Jean > Post 8. Chapel of Notre-Dame du Rosaire

Post 8. Chapel of Notre-Dame du Rosaire

In 1687, Bishop Adrien V Riedmatten visited a small building in Saint-Jean du-milieu, probably the chapel of the Bourgeoisie, which was founded in 1519 by Jean Martin. The building has a cellar which is its veritable treasure and peculiarity. It houses the archives of the Bourgeoisie of Saint-Jean, some religious objects, paintings and portraits, including that of the priest Egide Massy, who died in 1697, a key character of the church in Anniviers in the seventeenth century.

Map of St-Jean

Formerly, this chapel was known by the villagers as Notre- Dame-du-Perpétuel-Secours. A resident of Saint-Jean born in 1924, recalls that the people of Saint-Jean regularly attended Mass, celebrated by the priest of Vissoie and have always called the chapel Our Lady of Perpetual Help. The Chapel of Notre-Dame-du-Rosaire was known as the old chapel.

Over time, the chapel was the subject of several renovations. Visible in the ceiling, the two large beams supporting the bell tower, were, in 1755, outside of the building. The chapel, was then the size of an oratory, but was enlarged, at an undetermined date. The altar is surmounted by an altarpiece that dates from the second half of the eighteenth century. It represents the crowned Madonna with Child, holding a rosary in her right hand. She is surrounded on the right by Saint-Jean-Baptiste and on the left by Sainte- Agnès. The chapel, generally closed, can be visited by contacting Anna Z..


Next post

Return to the House of the Bourgeoisie.