What to do in summer > Sports and leisure > The Educational Trails > Heritage Trails > Historical Path in Saint-Luc > Post 20. Old House with successive enlargements

Post 20. Old House with successive enlargements

This home features the date 1708 on multiple beams and is part of the un-burnt area. It helps illustrate how the family adapted the main house to the number of family members.

  Map of St-Luc

The larger the family was, the more food had to be produced and the more productive land was required. Rather than build a new house, residents proceeded by additions. Balconies were closed to become rooms; an additional floor was built; a section on one side was added or two adjacent buildings were linked to create a new room.

The fight against the ravages of vermin was part of life in the houses. Chests, made with local pine in principle, were stored in the basement. Foodstuffs were stored on racks hanging from the ceiling or placed on the racks of the bréno.


Next post

Continue to the « Café-Restaurant La Fougère » where the road turns up.