Post 20. Tower House

This house, which dates from the sixteenth century, is probably one of the oldest houses of Saint-Jean and the only one to have four floors of living space.

Map of St-Jean

Its hexagonal masonry tower was rebuilt by the fathers of the current owners in 1960. The inscription above the entry porch is not original. It was cemented in place by one of the owners during repair work.

It’s worth taking a look at the staircase to admire the beautiful stones that constitute each step up to the fourth floor.

To the west of the house, a newer addition is linked to the main building by a small bridge. This is the rémija (storage room), damaged in 1955 by the fire of the explosion and renovated in 2008.

 

Next post

Let us take some steps towards the Chapel of Saint-Jean-Baptiste. Let us turn around. We are then facing a mural painted on the south facade of a building, which illustrates a fife and drum band.