What to do in summer > Sports and leisure > Natural world > The Educational Trails > Heritage Trails > Historical Path in Pinsec > Pinsec and the religious Chapter

Pinsec and the religious Chapter

Around 1300, the village whose name was written Pessey, Pense, or Pensey, was a special case in the history of Anniviers.

Map of Pinsec

The religious Chapter (Chapitre), formed by the canons of the Cathedral of Sion, had land there and owned a quarter of all common property that was under the management and responsibility of a local ministral. Civil administration depended on a canon who took the title of Viscount or Vice Lord. The Viscount meted out justice in front of the chapel during his visits to the village. Despite its partial ownership by the Chapitre, Pinsec was part of the Quarter of Vissoie and the Anniviers community, at parish and military levels.

An archival document tells of the arrangement made with the religious Chapter in 1778. Written in French at the time by Jean-Georges Roux, notary, it reveals the enormous distance that existed between the people and their masters. A class of persons cited there : theterrementiers were represented by a certain Augustin Seulio. The terrementiers sometimes referred to as terriens owned land, the right to walk the routes, and forests, without being communiers (community members). The last rights of Pinsec owned by the Chapter were bought in 1804..

Until 1892, the access road that followed the current road alignment ended at the village. The connection to Vissoie was by a very steep path leading from the village to the Navisence. The access road was gradually improved during the twentieth century.