What to do in summer > Sports and leisure > The Educational Trails > Heritage Trails > Historical path in Mottec > Mottec- Post 2. Chapel of Sainte-Claire

Mottec- Post 2. Chapel of Sainte-Claire

The date of construction of this chapel, dedicated to Sainte-Claire, is not nown. According to records, it did not yet exist at the time of the episcopal visit of Adrien de Riedmatten V in 1687. The three statues of the altar probably date from the eighteenth century. In its size, this building is rather akin to an oratory.

Map of Mottec

This simple and modest chapel is the setting for a jewel : a wooden altarpiece, carved and polychromed, with statues that are probably executed in part subsequent to the construction of the building. In the centre of the altar, Saint-Pierre is recognizable by his usual appearance with a short beard and his forelock, probably formerly holding a key in his right hand. This sculpture is surrounded on the right by Saint-Antoine l’Ermite with his monastic habit and left, a saint holding his coat with her left hand. His right hand has lost the attribute that would have permitted a clear identification. None of these statues corresponds to the usual iconography of Sainte- Claire, usually depicted as a nun of the Clarisses order.

 

Next post

The basin is located just opposite the chapel.