What to do in summer > Sports and leisure > Natural world > The Educational Trails > Heritage Trails > Historical path in Mottec > Mottec- Post 6. Chapel Saint-Laurent

Mottec- Post 6. Chapel Saint-Laurent

The construction of this chapel dates back to 1766, according to the inscription
painted under the ridge board.

Map of Mottec

In a rather surprising way, Saint-Laurent does not refer to the saint to whom the chapel is dedicated, but to the locality where it is situated. The locals once called it the Chapel of Lovérèche.

The altar, still visible in the 1950s, was probably sold and no trace of it remains.

In the nave one can admire a Baroque sculpture, evoking Sainte-Anne teaching Mary to read as a child. The Crucifixion above the altar is the only element still present that dates from the time of the construction.

The windows were made by the Swiss artist Emile Aebischer who was called “Yoki” (1922-2012). Beginning in 1949, he painted numerous murals and stained glass windows in Switzerland, France, Germany, England, Italy as well as in Israel and Africa. In particular, he created stained glass windows for the cupola of the Basilica of Nazareth, those of the Church of the Sacred Heart in Basel and in Vevey-Corsier. He was co-founder of the Stained 6. Chapel Saint-Laurent Chapel of the Lovérèche, early twentieth century 18 19 Glass Museum in Romont and the father of Patrick Aebischer, President of the EPFL in Lausanne.

The Chapel was renovated twice, in 1936 and 2009. Georgina Hubscher and Jocelyne Budry, who have lived in Mottec since 2002, together with other villagers, were looking for solutions that would permit them to address the state of abandonment of the chapels. Celebrations organized since 1994 permitted the renovation of the Sainte- Claire Chapel in 1998 and that of the Saint-Laurent Chapel in 2008. Because it had no assigned owner, it was neglected for a long time. In 2009, work began with the roof, and a small bell tower was added. Then the exterior and interior walls and the ceiling and floor were completely redone, as directed by the authorities of the Monuments Historiques. A drain was installed to fight against humidity. The benches dating from 1774 were also restored.

The cable car, located at the entrance of the village, to the left of the road, was built in the 1960s by Max Koffler from Lucerne, who bought the mayen of Barneuze and turned it into a hamlet with several chalets.

 

Next post

The Mottec historical visit ends here. In summer, you can discover the old mayens while walking toward the pasture of Sorebois or that of Barneuza.