What to do in summer > Sports and leisure > The Educational Trails > Heritage Trails > Historical Path in Saint-Jean > Introduction to Saint-Jean

Introduction to Saint-Jean

On a 1930 photograph taken from Mission, Saint-Jean appears on a moraine formation as a staggered village with three areas. The village can be seen at its best from Mission.

Map of St-Jean

We do not know exactly at what time the village took its current name, but already in 1575, a written act uses this name. Previously, the village was known as “l’Iglisier” and was located higher on the hillside than the current village.

Saint-Jean d’en-haut (upper) is separated from Saint-Jean du-milieu (middle) by the Hombes stream, which is kept free of construction because of danger of avalanches. The last, in 1984, came down to the village without causing damage. This event was at the origin of the construction of avalanche barriers that allowed for the construction of new houses, between the upper and middle parts of the village.

Saint-Jean d’en-bas (below) suffered from a major explosion in 1955, and was built below the main road, and is turned south toward the Chapel of Saint-Jean-Baptiste.

On either side of the three residential areas, meadows and grain fields form checkerboards, laid out in the most accessible and sunniest areas.

The cultivation of rye and wheat stopped in the mid-twentieth century, giving way to the empty land and forest. With the beginning of the 21st century, subsequent to the reduction of livestock, in the place of grasslands, a new neighbourhood has emerged in the flat area of Barmes. Young people, mainly from Saint-Jean and Grimentz, have settled here with their families.

Today, the village has about 200 year-round inhabitants.