What to do in summer > Culture, heritage and discovery > The Château de Beauregard

The Château de Beauregard

Niouc - Significant works have been undertaken to consolidate the remains of the Beauregard castle and open it up for access. A portrait of the place that was once called “impregnable”.

The Beauregard castle was built 1000 m up on a rocky outcrop. Surrounded by void and precipices, it provided a vertiginous view over the Rhone valley and the entrance to the Val d’Anniviers. Here is a brief overview of the history of this unusual castle, once dubbed “The Impregnable”.

An analysis of the type of architecture suggests a date of origin in the 12th century. It is highly probable that the castle was the property of the de Rarognes, Lords of Anniviers. It could have fulfilled the following functions:

  • Defence of the access to the Val d’Anniviers
  • Defence of the road along the left bank of the Rhône
  • An observation post over the plain
  • A beacon communication relay point
  • A last-resort refuge for the noble families of the plain

The Savoyards laid siege to the castle in the 14th century. This incident probably caused structural damage to the building, but it was the attack in the 15th century that struck the fatal blow: following a revolt against the grand bailiff, the Patriots of Upper Valais stormed the Château de Beauregard.The whole castle was destroyed by fire as a result.


600 years after its destruction, the ruins of this legendary castle still remain, witness to a turbulent medieval past. The Château de Beauregard Foundation was established in 2008 with the aim of promoting this historic monument. The organisation set itself the following objectives :

  • To undertake archaeological investigations
  • To consolidate the visible remains
  • To restore the site
  • To install a belvedere
  • To signpost the access and provide information panels
  • To install night-time floodlighting of the premises


Fondation "Château de Beauregard"