Mes favoris
Pas de favoris dans votre liste
the right
Apartment or chalet

Post 2. Source / Spring Water

The spring is fed by a stream of water coming out of the mountain at 100 m below the village at the temperature of 14 °C. Seven granite basins were filled gradually to allow watering of the herd.

> The path to the spring is very narrow. Formerly, cows were led to water down the path on the south side and came up the north side where the poplars are. Today, the path takes one down the reverse course.

The basins were transported on carts pulled by cattle to Niouc. The spring is located on land owned by the Consortage of Niouc.

In 1858, following the second fire in Saint-Luc, through the Gazette du Valais newspaper, a request was made to the Council of State to build an aqueduct to bring water from the Navisence to Niouc. The aqueduct would have allowed the inhabitants of Saint-Luc to make use of and develop their land located in Niouc.

Before the construction of the supply gallery bringing water from Vissoie to the Chippis plant in 1908, Niouc had only this spring of water and rain for its water supply. Rainwater was collected through numerous wells dug near the homes.

In 1905, the agreement signed by the municipality of Saint-Luc and the water company of the Navisence, included the provision of a maximum of fifty litres per minute for households.

In 1908, a resevoir supplying water to six stone basins, spread throughout the village, was built at the edge of the forest. The people could stock up at the basin nearest their home.

Drinking water reached Niouc in 1960. At first drawn at the foot of the Bella-Tola, it now comes from the Soussillon reservoir, which is fed by a spring located close to Chandolin.

The people of Niouc have endless anecdotes about water. To draw water from the area of the Bella-Tola, the commune of Saint-Luc had run a pipe through the territory of the town of Chandolin via Soussillon. One day, a person from Soussillon, upset to see the pipe, severed it. Later, Saint-Luc and Chandolin established an agreement providing that water could be taken directly from the reservoir at Soussillon for an annual fee of 2500 francs.

It is also said that in 1975 during excavation work for a sewer pipe, a completely charred tree trunk was discovered about four meters underground near the bottom of the village. This leads to the supposition that there were lime kilns at this location in the past.

> Next post
Go back up the path on the south side and continue on the right until the area of the barns ”raccards”.

Useful documents


Post 2. Source / Spring Water
3960 Niouc
By continuing to browse this site, you agree to the use of cookies to improve your user experience and to provide website statistics.
Read the legal notice