Post 2. Path towards the Grotto of Lourdes and Cemetery
This road was completed in 1895 for processions that took place on the third Sunday of the month in the summer. The crucifix was erected in 1896 in memory of the parish retreat, called “mission”. Missions were usually held every ten years and lasted about two weeks.
The grotto of Lourdes was due to the initiative of the Association of the Lourdes Pilgrimage and was founded by Father Joseph Francey in 1916.
Continue along this road to the cemetery.
In the past, the cemetery was located only in the direct vicinity of the church. In 1919, lack of space forced the parish to build another one below.
In the upper Vissoie Cemetery, north of the church, the tombstones and grave crosses date from the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. One can still read very interesting inscriptions : the names of individuals, but also their political functions and the cause of their deaths. It is a sort of history of the parish, which over time, may become illegible.
> Next post
The building located above the cemetery is the former vicarage.
The grotto of Lourdes was due to the initiative of the Association of the Lourdes Pilgrimage and was founded by Father Joseph Francey in 1916.
Continue along this road to the cemetery.
In the past, the cemetery was located only in the direct vicinity of the church. In 1919, lack of space forced the parish to build another one below.
In the upper Vissoie Cemetery, north of the church, the tombstones and grave crosses date from the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. One can still read very interesting inscriptions : the names of individuals, but also their political functions and the cause of their deaths. It is a sort of history of the parish, which over time, may become illegible.
> Next post
The building located above the cemetery is the former vicarage.
Useful documents
Contact
Post 2. Path towards the Grotto of Lourdes and Cemetery
3961 Vissoie