Mes favoris
Pas de favoris dans votre liste
the right
Apartment or chalet

Post 4. Parish Church of Sainte-Euphémie

The parish church, dedicated to Sainte-Euphémie was built at the initiative of the Vissoie priest Thomas Gillet (1778-1847) in 1808 and opened in 1809. Two other churches, of which only the steeple remains had preceded it at the same location.

Father Antoine Clivaz (1734-1821), a child of the parish, contributed significantly to the financing of this construction. His name is engraved on the tomb stone located at the end of the nave of the church : FIERI FECIT Cliva + 1809 (translated literally “ Cliva made possible + 1809” which was understood to mean the financing of the construction.).

The current tower was built in 1785, following a fire in 1784. The six bells were manufactured locally and hoisted to the belfry in 1785. They have the following respective names: Euphémie, Marie, Georges, Théodule, Barbe and François.

The choir of the church, damaged by fire in 1846, was immediately restored. A significant earthquake in January 1946, damaged the building that had to be closed for more than a year. The last major restoration dates back to 1975.

The church has a single large vaulted nave and a narrow, elongated choir. The main altar of Sainte-Euphémie dates from 1848, after the fire of the choir. In the middle, a painting represents Sainte-Euphémie, patron saint of the parish. On the left is the statue of Saint-Barbe and, right, that of Sainte-Catherine of Alexandria. At the top, one can see the representation of the Ascension of Christ. On both sides of the altar, one can see the statues of Saint-Pierre, left, and Saint-Paul, right. The lateral altars date from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. The altar of the Rosary, left, is dedicated to the Virgin and, on the right to Saint-Georges, second patron saint of the parish. On the beam of glory, at the entrance of the choir, there is a crucifixion with Saint-Jean and the Virgin.

The first pipe organ was installed in 1812. It was replaced, around 1938, by an electronic organ that never gave full satisfaction. The purchase of the current organ dates back to 1952. It consists of 17 registers, two manual keyboards and a pedal. Stained glass, depicting the life of Christ, are the work of J. Bessac, Grenoble and date from 1902.

> Prochain poste
A la sortie de l’église, tournez à votre gauche, jusqu’à la route Vissoie-Grimentz.

Useful documents


Post 4. Parish Church of Sainte-Euphémie
3961 Vissoie


By continuing to browse this site, you agree to the use of cookies to improve your user experience and to provide website statistics.
Read the legal notice