You are here : > Activities > Winter > Discovering the Ice Caves in the Zinal Glacier / Zinal > Discovering the Ice Caves in the Zinal Glacier / Zinal
Discovering the Ice Caves in the Zinal Glacier / Zinal
Keep a day free and strap on your snowshoes for an amazing guided hike into the Zinal Glacier !
Please note : This natural gem is located in an unsecured place that can be dangerous. Consequently, Anniviers Tourisme advises against unsupervised outings. Our official mountain guides and hiking guides are available to lead you in this adventure in safe conditions (dates below).
Lying 2½ hours’ walk from Zinal, the Zinal glacier originates from the meeting-point of 3 glaciers:
• The Grand Cornier glacier
• The Durand glacier
• The Mountet glacier
The glacier has several natural cavities hollowed out by the streams that flow beneath. Access is not possible in summer, but in winter snow-shoes hikes are organised on a regular basis to the glacier.
This hike does not require any particular training. It should be noted that it involves 5 hours’ walking and 500 m height difference, about 11 km.
Only with good weather conditions.
Bring your picnic.
Number of participants :
Min. : 4 persons
- Meeting place at the parking les Plats de la Lée
- Equipment : Snowshoes and sticks, waterproof walking shoes, warm clothes, sunglasses, hot drinks and picnic, gaiters if no waterproof pants.
- Animation in FR, GER or ENG
Other practical informations
- Car Park : Cross Zinal and reach the Plats de la Lée car park (paid parking) at the end of the road. Otherwise you can park just after the garbage containers here (free)
- Public transport: Arrival by post bus in Zinal at 08.35 am. Get off at the Village de vacances last stop and walk towards the Plats de la Lée car park
Office du Tourisme de Zinal
From mid-December to mid-March
Guided tours of the Glacier
Mountain guides are available for private requests on other dates.